Saturday, March 10, 2012

AFFIRMATIVE ACTION

I'm a believer. There was a time, however, that I doubted the power of affirmation recitation to bring a lasting shift in perspective from negative and pessimistic to positive and realistically optimistic. It wasn't until I got to my whit's end with a client who was continutally, mentally berating herself day in and day out that I turned to affirmations.

We had tried several different means of tranforming her thought processes, but nothing was working for her.
So, with few tricks left in my toolkit, I suggested she write five sentences that contained thoughts that she would like to believe about herself but didn't, and I asked her to recite those sentences aloud twice and write them down ten times each morning and night for a week. When she returned the following week, the results were remarkable.  In fact, I saw her only six more session, after that.  The power of affirmations was the key to the transformation of her "stinking thinking." I was convinced.

It is said that the average person's thoughts are 80% negative. If you check in with yourself, do you find that you are the exception or the rule? If you struggle with negative self-talk, give this affirmation art project a shot and see if can be the impetus of change for you.

Paint Chip Affirmation Project


Supplies:
Notebook and pen
15 - 20 Paint chips in colors that you really like or that match your decor.

Fine tip Sharpie marker
tape

Process:

1. Take some quiet time to get centered.  Perhaps you can find a quiet place in your home or go for a walk.  Listen to some uplifting or worship music to get your mind in a good place...whatever works for you.

2. Then, sit quietly with your notebook to do some process journaling. Listen to your self-talk. What do you say to yourself? ("I'm not good enough." "I'm stupid." "I'm unloveable." Something else?) Write these messages in your notebook.

3. The next step is to identify the most negative and deeply held belief about yourself. Rank that number 1. Then, continue to rank the rest of the messages in order of negativity and impact on your life.
 
4. For each negative message that you've uncovered, write a balanced, positive response. We always seek balance instead of swinging to the polar opposite of the thought.  So, instead of "I am stupid," you might write, "I am smart. I graduated from college. I can hold down a job. I am successful at many things." Going from "I am stupid," to "I am the smartest person in the world," is unrealistic and could take your thoughts in an unhealthy direction. (see diagram) These sentences become your affirmations.


5. Now the fun begins! Tape the paint chips on an empty wall in a space in your home that you use a lot (your bedroom, bathroom mirror, or livingroom would work great!) There is no rule as to how the colors are arranged...it's up to you.

6. Write your the affirmative messages which correspond to your two most negative thoughts anywhere on the paint chips. You may change your handwriting or the color of marker you use for each as you please to make your composition more intersting.


In this example, I used colors that match my livingroom and added some of my favorite quotes, sayings and Bible verses.

7. Daily, speak your 2 affirmations aloud twice and rewrite the messages in your notebook ten time each - morning and night. Do this for one week.

8. After a week has passed, choose the next two affirmations on your list and add them to your paint chip board...repeating the process for speaking and writing them each day.  Continue this until your wall of affirmations is filled. 

Once you complete this project,  I hope you find that your thoughts have transformed and that you're beginning to see yourself in a new light, speaking to yourself more kindly and living life with a more positive attitude.

Let me know how it goes! I'd love it if you'd share your work with me. Send photos to pam@pammontgomery.com.

Create on! Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment