Thursday, March 8, 2012

THE POWER OF SYMBOLS

The exploration and uncovering of your personal life symbols can be a powerful way to tell your story, connect with your purpose and gain insight into your responses to life.

When I first began painting, I discovered that there were specific symbols that showed up repeatedly in my drawings and paintings: trees, birds, water.  Over and over again, they would somehow make their way into the image I was creating.  After some time, I decided to explore the symbols and honor them by creating a painting that shared my life's journey in symbols. (below)


"Journey" is the name of this painting.  When I shared it with one of my dearest friend, telling her nothing of the title or the meaning, she looked at it and said, "Yes."  She went on to explain that in looking at the image she felt that she could see into my soul.  We sat and explored the symbols together...each one had a particular, powerful meaning in my life. I look at the colors and shapes and am brought back to a moment in time...or an encompassing theme.  Yes, it is my story.

If you don't know the deepest parts of my story, the symbols may not have meaning to you.  They are mine.

You have symbols, too.  Won't you take some time to explore the symbols in your life and celebrate them by creating an image?

What you'll need:
Canvas (stretched, unstretched or board)
Acrylic paints
One large brush and one pinpoint brush
Pencil

1. Cover the canvas with a background color
2. Pencil in your symbols.  You can create an all over, cohesive design; a manala of symbols; a smattering in interrelated images or whatever you'd like.
3. Choose a color and use tiny dots to fill in the shapes.

When you are finished, the image will tell your story.  Notice the shapes, the colors, the relation of one symbol to another. 

What is the story? Who will you share it with?
I hope you have fun with this activity! Above all, let go of perfectionism and just get to it and explore, play and create!

No comments:

Post a Comment