Tuesday, March 13, 2012

SPRING FEVER



I can't sleep anymore. It's not that I can't get to sleep...it's that I can't seem to sleep past 6 AM anymore. If you know me well, you know that I am a night owl.  I go to bed around midnight or 1 AM and my usually sleep cycle takes me to 8 AM. However, recently I've been waking up as early as 4 AM to clean house, decorate, paint, write, peruse the internet...anything to take up the time that I would normally be slumbering away in la la land.

It's Spring Fever I tell you. 

The days are getting longer and temperatures are climbing and I'm getting restless. As winter turns to spring, my body is naturally producing less melatonin (a hormone that governs sleep/wake cycles) and more seratonin (a mood-boosting neurotransmitter).  I feel at its mercy.

In the past week I've redecorated my entire livingroom/diningroom area, I have reworked all of the SEO on each of my websites, I have written and journaled and caught up on paperwork. I feel like a mad woman...flitting here and there completing things and starting things and imagining all kinds of things that I might start and finish in the next 10 minutes because I know it will end.

I know the energy will turn to fatigue as soon as the pollen starts flying. My bright eyes will start itching and watering and, oh my gosh, I will be sneezing like a machine gun. I try to be positive about the sneezes and consider them a good ab workout.  Nevertheless...it's like maching guns, seriously.

But let's not focus on that! Let's get back to energy and growth and change and beauty...all the great things about Spring. I'm excited to watch as the ravens of winter, who gather out my office window as if conducting their own group therapy session) become robins and finches and hummingbirds. And, behind them, the trees along the Santa Fe trail will begin to bud and morph from drab white skeletons to bright green clouds of perpetual motion. And best of all, I get to continue to watch the people I care about, my friends and family and clients, as they go about their lives; growing and changing and becoming more beautiful every day.

Spring reminds me of the blessings of life...reminds me to notice them, to honor them and, most of all, to be thankful to the One who is the gifter of all good things.

Spring is coming. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment